SUPCASE Unicorn Beetle Black Frosted Case for Samsung Galaxy S6 Active Review



https://www.amazon.com/SUPCASE-Unicorn-Premium-Protective-Samsung/dp/B00YSMWL1C/

The case isn't a clear see-through plastic, but instead a frosted coating. I’m still unsure if I like the frosted or not. It hides the rugged texture of the Samsung’s backside. It tends to scratch easily in the light. It looks somewhat tacky, although a clear plastic might look far more tacky and cheap.

My case has a small pinhole on the back and I haven’t figured out what this is for yet. Perhaps a nearby microphone? The opening around the camera and flash provides enough clearance that you can still use the finger print heart sensor.

One thing I disliked about the Galaxy S6 Active itself is how easily the buttons press and how I was always accidentally hitting them. This case solves that problem by making the buttons much more firm, which requires intentional force to press.

I don't care for the hardness of the plastic. I used a Trident case on my old phone for several years, so I’m used to a more rubberized feel. Not so with this. The plastic is very hard, although its matte coating gives it a premium feel. Fortunately, this makes the case slide in and out of your pocket very smoothly. However, I worry if the hard plastic protects against drops as well as my previous cushy-rubber case did.

The edge does have a nice textured pattern, however in my previous point the hardness of the case doesn't provide much to grip onto, so if you’re not holding your phone properly, it might slip right out of your hand. I’d prefer if the volume keys had more texture, because sometimes I can't tell where the volume up or volume down is.

I also dislike that the ports aren't covered. Again, comparing this to my previous case. The headphone jack opening fits all of my headphones, but is just a bit too small for my car’s cassette tape adapter (yes, I’m old school) so I have to take the case off when in the car.

Removing the case is somewhat difficult and requires some force to pry it off. After a few times, it’s not too bad. Putting the case on however is a tight fit, so I always feel like I’m scratching the sides of my phone by doing this (but I have not had any scratches though).

The lip of the case extends over the face of the phone by only a very slight amount (perhaps a few millimeters). This means if you’re using a screen protector (or even one of those thick glass covers like me) the case will not interfere with it.

Overall, this case is a great accessory for the S6 Active, although there might be better options. It provides "good enough" protection against drops, bumps, and scratches while maintaining a slim, sleek profile. I'll be buying an alternative case to occasionally swap out with this one. For the price though, you can’t go wrong with this one.

source

Comments